Core Fill Masonry Grout Installation/Application
SPEC MIX® Core Fill Grout may be used in both low-lift and high-lift applications. Special consideration should be used in selecting the type of grout used for a particular application. Core Fill Grout may be placed by hand or by mechanical delivery. It should be consolidated upon placement and reconsolidated before initial set. Always check project specifications and structural notes to assure proper product selection has been made.
SPEC MIX Core Fill Grouts must be kept dry, covered and protected from weather and other damage.
Sizes and Equipment
SPEC MIX Core Fill Grout is available in 80 lb (36.2 kg) packages for easy hand loading as well as in 3,000 lb (1,360.7 kg) reusable bulk bags to be used with the various SPEC MIX silo systems. When using the silo system, once the bulk bags of grout are delivered to the project site, the portable silo is loaded with a jobsite forklift and the product is dispensed into a mechanical batch mixer. (See silo operations manual.)
SPEC MIX Core Fill Grout Mixing Instructions
WEAR IMPERVIOUS GLOVES, such as nitrile.
1. Use a mechanical batch mixer to ensure optimal workability and performance. Hand mixing grout should be permitted only with written approval by the specifier who should outline hand-mixing procedures.
2. Add the dry Core Fill Grout material to enough clean, potable water to obtain a flowable 8 in to 11 in (200 mm to 275 mm) slump complying with ASTM C 476 and local building codes.
3. When using a continuous mixing system, follow the mixer manufacturer’s recommendations. An 8 in to 11 in (200 mm to 275 mm) slump must be achieved.
4. Mixing times should remain consistent batch to batch.
5. In general, mix only the amount of material that can be used within one hour of initial mixing.
|Estimated Yields Per 3,000 lb (1,360.7 kg) BULK BAG|
|Unit Size||Blocks Filled||Cores Filled|
|6 in (150 mm) Block||125 to 142||255 to 285|
|8 in (200 mm) Block||93 to 110||185 to 218|
|10 in (250 mm) Block||78 to 85||155 to 170|
|12 in (300 mm) Block||63 to 70||128 to 140|
|Note: The yields given above are approximate and depend on labor practices, site conditions and design of work. Yields include typical waste. Please contact our local representative for more specific yield information in your area.|